I just finished reading After the Rice. I was saddened that the language was not the cleanest. There were quite a few cuss words. But that was not the biggesst bummer to me.
Here's the plot:
Married just ten months, her life with Matt would be grand if it weren't for a fast-growing secret she can't bear to share. As if that weren't enough, she's dealing with his belching Uncle Tony, residing on an air mattress in the basement, and her sister Andrea, a roving hippie, nesting on their couch. Never mind dueling mothers-in-law, hell bent on double-booking the newlyweds, an incontinent terrier, and a randy best friend (working overtime to get pregnant). As midterm exams are about to begin, Megan's un-weaned infant niece (aka The Pink Tyrant) is left in her care, and there's no time to spare for re-examining her life. Between the demands of her family and a gigantic decision only she and Matt can make, Megan finds herself in a state of marital chaos she never imagined, but must somehow manage.
Well- I should probably not say anything more, but I'm going to. So if you want to read the book STOP READING THIS POST NOW! 'cause I'm about to spoil it for you!!!
What it comes down to is that Megan ends up being pregnant. Neither she nor her husband ever wanted to (& still don't) have children. Basically at the end of the book, thought they don't flat out say it, they decide to have an abortion! We for those of you who know anything about me it made me a little mad. I know it's only a story. But I still didn't like the book. Not quite along the lines of the kind of warm fuzzy, happy ever after type of books I like to read. I got it cause I thought it would be funny, judging from the description. Well it wasn't to me. Anyway I guess you can tell.....I DON'T recommend this book.

2 comments:
so were you ever going to tell me you had internet? I had to go find out for myself. :) I HATE reading books that have horrible endings. I get so into them that I end up feeling depressed when it ends bad!
Oh yuck! I also hate books with awful endings. It feels like such a waste of my time afterward. I will NOT be reading this one so thanks for the heads up!
Post a Comment