Sunday, December 30, 2007

I am a Child of God.....

In case you didn't know this is the theme for Primary for 2008.

You may be asking why I even care. (beside that fact that I have a child in primary) I was sustained as the new primary president in our ward on Sunday. YAY, Congratulations...you might be thinking. The truth is that is am scared out of my whits! I don't know anything about the primary organization, except how to teach a class. I'm sure everything will be fine, but for the moment I feel a little overwhelmed and scared. This is a HUGE responsibility.... They are giving me people's children! What if I corrupt them!!?!!


So about 2 1/2 weeks ago I got a call from the 2nd counselor in the bishopric. Dec 12th to be exact. He wanted to meet with me and my husband. You know your in trouble when they want to talk to both of you. So, after much finagling, Bruce came over to our house around 10pm Thursday night. (the 13th) He extended the calling to be Primary President. I accepted , of course...what else do you do!?! But it was a shock and I cried and was shaking. He asked me if I wanted to pray about it.....NO! What difference would that make! I'd just get the same answer he did!

Bruce told me I needed to have my names to him by Tuesday. Also a new experience, as I have never had to pray about names to turn in. As I sat down to look over the names and make a list I was TOTALLY unsure of how to go about praying about it. And what if I TOTALLY couldn't receive any inspiration. But Ammon gave me a blessing and in it I was told that I would know who the Lord had in mind. It was a neat experience, to say the least.


On Sunday morning I had a meeting with the RS President to go over some VT stuff. I was the VT Coordinator. As we are sitting there talking I am getting more and more uneasy as she wants to start planning a couple of things for the year. YIKES!!! Little does she know I won't be around. So I didn't want to start planning with her and then bail! (It bothered me all day and the next morning I called Jennifer to get Bruce's cell # to call and tell him I thought they needed to give her some kind of heads-up.)

After she left I told Bruce that I had my names to turn in. And he told me that I, now, didn't have to get them to him until next Sunday since they had canceled their meeting for that week. He asked if I wanted to give it a little more thought and then get back to him. Again I said no. The answer was, "If I am in tune with the Spirit, then the names aren't going to change between now and then."
Sunday , the following week, Bruce turned the names in to the Bishop for approval.

Bishop approved them and then Bruce started calling them in for interviews. The only thing is that it is now the holiday season and so some of them have gone out of town for a while. He ended up calling one of the people and extending the call over the phone. (she still isn't home yet and won't be until Saturday night) And on Sunday morning at 11am he extended the last call. Everyone accepted. Without even knowing who they were going to be serving with. It made me feel very good to know that these women are willing to serve.

My 1st counselor is Jennifer Wiser
My 2nd counselor is Jennifer Larson

My Secretary is Betsey Lee


We had our first presidency meeting on Monday. On a conference call with Jenny Wiser because she won't be back until Saturday night. But we needed to have a meeting so that we could get some things set for this Sunday. It was a little difficult but we managed. I am just glad that she will be here for church on Sunday!


I am scared. But I am excited to learn something new. I know that if we will all work together as a presidency then we can make this primary a great experience for the children. And that's what's most important after all!

4 comments:

andrea said...

Congratulations! That is an overwhelming call, but I know you will do great at it! Devin and I were just released from being Nursery leaders (yipee!) So there are rumors going about what we'll be called too! It is exciting though. I can't wait to see all the fun things you plan as Primary President! Addie will love having you around :)

Rachael said...

I was sick last Sunday, but Zach told me you had been put in. I'm so excited for you! That was my favorite calling ever!! I almost refused to move from my last ward because I didn't want to give it up :) You'll do awesome! I'll give you the best advice I got: know the handbook inside and out - read it often - and follow it. That helped me feel the Spirit in all we did and I had "back up". I'm so excited for you! Now you're not supervisor can we go back to being VT companions?

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

I have no doubt that you will be wonderful!!! You are so good at everything you do and this will be no different! I'll e-mail you the cutest primary activity day idea when I get it. My ward did it and I told Aimee about it so I'm sending it to her too. Again....you will be awesome!

Jen said...

You are doing great! YOu will feel lots better once we get Sunday over with!