Thursday, May 17, 2012

Foxtail Saga






Apparently Foxtail is a kind of grass. I just think it's a weed. Don't you classify things that you don't like growing in your yard, and that spread rapidly (and take over), as a weed?  Well let me tell you- we have PLENTY. Usually when you have an excess of something you like to share with others, right? I will not be sharing. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

We have these weeds in our yard from the time we first bought our house. But they were never anything more than a mild bother- embedding themselves in our blankets and the dog's beds. This year things are different. They are embedding themselves in the dogs!!!! I don't like this and I wonder what the use of these things is. Why were they created? Kind of the same way i feel about scorpions and cockroaches. Somethings you just don't understand why the Lord saw fit to create them.

One of our dogs (the oldest one) seems to be afflicted with them more than the others. I'm not quite sure why. But it makes me sad to see her in pain. A few days ago I had officially had enough. It was right after we pulled one out of one of the dog's eye! REALLY!!?!!! Come to find out- these things are deadly to dogs because they do burrow into the skin. However they never have before....at least at our house. Who knew this year would be any different? So the husband went outside and flamed the back yard. We have black spots all over the yard. But less weeds. He still has a couple patches to do but I already see a HUGE improvement. We have long hair dogs that bring them inside. They get tangled in their hair so easily. And I am constantly sweeping. And I didn't see any other solution than to burn them. Because once they dry and go to seed there is nothing you can do about it except wait it out....and that can last all summer. NO THANK YOU!

 Let me give you a list of places we have pulled these things from :

  • eyes
  • mouth
  • feet- between toes
  • feet- bottom between pads
  • gums
  • underarms
Hopefully we won't have to deal with them too much now.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Girl, you need to update your blog! I hope your foxtails are gone, they sound horrible!