open or closed I couldn't tell. I just knew there was someone in my back yard. I yelled that very thing to the husband,
"There's someone in the back yard", as I grabbed my bathrobe and walked down the hall.
What was I going to do exactly? No idea. But I was headed that way and the adrenaline was leading the way.
The dogs were ALL barking (and in case you didn't know the puppy has a VERY loud, non-puppy/little yippy dog, bark)
The puppy was in the family room looking at the backdoor barking her guts out. SO brave.
The other dogs were not to be found so it meant one thing- they were outside protecting their house.
For some reason I decided to open the back door to see what was going on. (don't worry- the husband was right behind me)
About the time I got to the back door the boy dog started screaming. No- not crying- SCREAMING.
All I could think was "Oh my heck! Someone is killing my dog!"
I open the door to find the girl dog standing on the patio barking, a HUGE yellow dog in the middle of the yard with my little boy dog under him.
I realised it was not a person but an animal that was causing all the commotion.
So I looked over to the gate to see 1) what had caused the noise that woke me up and 2) how in the world it got in.
And there stood ANOTHER (black) dog- bigger than the first one.
And the gate was WIDE OPEN!
The husband ran after the 2 dogs (mine and the other) and grabbed the other one.
I got all of my dogs in the house while the husband ushered the uninvited guest out the way he came.
When I got inside I saw the holster to the handgun on the couch. The husband had intended to use it....but did not.
I proceeded to check out my boy and see what the damage was- he was still whining.
I found only 1 puncture wound. Upon closer inspection (and more time spent looking) I found 2 more under his collar.
To make this a little shorter- We called 911 and they sent a police to our house. They couldn't do much about it. We then called animal control and they don't open until 8. (in case you need to know for future reference)
After the excitement died away and we got another hour or so of rest, and the day passed so we had time to think about what had happened, we realized a few things
- these dogs (a boy and girl) were not mean, vicious dogs, most likely they just got out of their yard and were having a great adventure
- they came into our yard kind of by accident and it surprised everyone, which resulted in my boy getting hurt- he was protecting his territory, but was not quite big enough to handle who he was taking on
- most likely they came over to our fence, where our dogs were all excited and bounced the gate a few times, which bounced the latch up and it opened. we have now fixed that by putting a lock in it and that will not be happening again. shoof!
- our little boy is hurting pretty good tonight. he has a little swelling on his right side- though no broken bones, we found 4 puncture wounds in all and only one of them was very bad, he also has 2 scratches, a missing toe nail, and a good scratch in his mouth that is making it difficult to eat
- i am glad we got all the dogs current on their vaccines and rabies recently
- if that dog had really been mean- he could have killed my dog quite easily- we're talking an anywhere from 75-100lb dog against my little 20 pound-er. if he had really been trying, or wanted to, he would have torn my dog apart, and then turned on the husband when he got close as well.
- everyone is alive AND SAFE and that makes me happy. It could have been MUCH worse.
- we are blessed
- and lastly- (like i said on Facebook tonight) if the world is going to end at midnight it would be a fitting end to this day that startled me awake at 4:00am to a HUGE dog in my back yard attacking my little dog.

2 comments:
First of all I am glad everyone is safe!You truly are blessed. I am glad you guys were home went his happened too, could you imagine if you would of not been home?!I am also glad Ammon was there to help out too:) Poor little guy at least he is okay though.
Wow, Nat! I had no idea. What a traumatic event for you, but I am glad everyone is safe and your pup is doing well.
Post a Comment