So I just did a post on my Kitchen Window (uplifting/happy) blog, in which I stated how pleased I am with my son for doing SO great at school today. You should read it. It will only add to this post. In which I have to tell the not so happy side of the experience we had at our house this evening.
As I sat down to type up that other post, the children had just barely gotten in bed. My mistake for thinking it had been a safe amount of time to get on the computer. Momentarily I come out of my head long enough to realize that the husband and the boy are have royal battle #3687 (and that's just the numbers so far for THIS week!) And I was saying (in the other post) how pleased I am with him, only to stop and go help hubs out. He's at his wits end with the boy. So I go in to the boy's room- because he's crying, because he just got his night light turned off for getting out of bed repeatedly for no other reason than to torment his father. So I go in to talk to him. I ask why he's crying. I ask why he hit and kicked his dad. And then we have a conversation which goes something to the effect of
"Why do you hit and kick dad?"
"Because I don't like him."
"Why don't you like him?"
"Because he's mean to me. And you're mean to me."
"How are we mean to you?"
"You tell me to do stuff."
"That's because we are your mom and dad and we are trying to raise you to be a good young man." "Do you like it if someone hits or kicks you?'
"No."
"Does it hurt you?"
"Yes."
"It hurts dad too. So why do you do it to him?"
"Because I hate him."
To this, I started crying and got up and left. Which made the boy cry SO much more.
All of the above I would not like to put on the other blog, because it is not happy or uplifting. It is real life. And more common than I would like to admit. Except for the "Because I hate him" part, which was new. Which is why I cried.
But this next part I would share on my happy blog:
After a few minutes he came out of his room, still crying, and started down the hall. I told him to get back in bed. A minute later, back in his bed, he is crying, "Daddy. Daddy. Daddy." So I ask if he wants dad. He says yes. I ask why. He says, "Because I want to say I'm sorry." So I tell him I will tell dad. The husband, having NO idea what had just happened while I was in there, then went in to make peace with his son. The boy apologised for kicking and hitting and saying mean words. They talked about better ways to let mom and dad know how you are feeling. Then the husband comes out and tells me that the boy wants a hug. So I go in. He hugs me and says sorry that he said mean words. We talked for a few minutes. I reiterated the conversation he had with his dad about better ways to express feelings. And we still have to do things we are asked to do even if we don't want to. "Like for instance I have to go do the dishes right now, and I don't feel like doing that." To which he said, "Can I do the dishes in the morning maybe?" I asked if he wanted to help me with the dishes and he said yes. SO I am saving them for tomorrow. (any excuse right!!? hehe) And then I left with a big hug and kiss and a happy boy.
After a few minutes he is sitting out on the couch beside me while I type. I ask what he needs, he tells me, in words, his feelings.
"I am still a little sad."
"Why are you still sad?"
"Because you walked out of my room. Why did you walk out of my room and crying?"
"Because what you said about dad made me a little angry and a lot sad. So I just had to leave to my own room."
"I am a bad boy for saying that about dad."
"You are not a bad boy. You told dad and me sorry, right?"
"Yes"
"And we are not mad at you right?"
"Yes"
"So everything is ok. And everyone can be happy."
And with that he happily went off to bed and I haven't heard a thing from him since. So he is now slumbering peacefully. And I'll be danged if he isn't the CUTEST little thing (along with his sister) while he is sleeping.
Eventful night at my house? YES! And even if it wasn't the happiest experience- it still had a happy ending. And I ♥LOVE♥ a happy ending!
Thursday, March 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment