Thursday, July 1, 2010

Patience (it's a virtue you know)

Is this a hard one for anyone else? I think if asked to form a line for those that find patience hard I would be at the FRONT, I would run there so fast. I wish I could say that this is something that I have been able to overcome. I feel that I have had SO many opportunities to learn this lesson. But I guess I don't seem to be learning it, because I keep having the opportunity to try again.

I was reading a talk. It was all about this virtue. And I cried. It touched my heart. Especially in light of current trials of patience and faith. And it made sense to me. And I am grateful for inspired church leaders. The whole talk is HERE.

But here are a few parts that especially spoke comfort to me:

  • Patience—the ability to put our desires on hold for a time—is a precious and rare virtue. We want what we want, and we want it now. Therefore, the very idea of patience may seem unpleasant and, at times, bitter. Nevertheless, without patience, we cannot please God; we cannot become perfect. Indeed, patience is a purifying process that refines understanding, deepens happiness, focuses action, and offers hope for peace.
  • ...patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!
  • Brigham Young taught that when something came up which he could not comprehend fully, he would pray to the Lord, “Give me patience to wait until I can understand it for myself.”5 And then Brigham would continue to pray until he could comprehend it.
  • Patience is a godly attribute that can heal souls, unlock treasures of knowledge and understanding, and transform ordinary men and women into saints and angels. Patience is truly a fruit of the Spirit. Patience means accepting that which cannot be changed and facing it with courage, grace, and faith. It means being “willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon [us], even as a child doth submit to his father.”8 Ultimately, patience means being “firm and steadfast, and immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord”9 every hour of every day, even when it is hard to do so. In the words of John the Revelator, “Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and … faith [in] Jesus.”10

  •  ...if we wait patiently for the Lord, He will incline unto us. He will hear our cries. He will bring us out of a horrible pit and set our feet upon a solid rock. He will put a new song in our mouths, and we will praise our God. Many around us will see it, and they will trust in the Lord.14

3 comments:

trublubyu said...

patience is a hard one. prayers for you guys.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Natalie. You are so sweet. I think if you knew how much each of us struggles with patience in our own way, you would not feel so isolated. When I think of patience a line from an 80's song comes to mind (I think it was the 80's?), "I know what I want, and I want it now." This pretty much sums up my stance on patience.

TrishAnderson said...

I am with you on the patience and also with trying to learn from experiences. I keep having some over and over and wonder what on earth it is that I am missing.

Thank you for the reminder of patience. I needed it today!