I have sweet children.
They try to do what's right.
Yesterday I felt like I had failed to teach them correctly.
We were at the store.
We were looking at video games.
The daughter saw something and busts out with "OMG".
NOT the abbreviated version.
Which, by the way, I feel is no better than actually saying it outright.
I can handle other words, but that one gets me EVERY TIME.
I would almost rather she said one of the other words.
I tried really hard not to.
But I busted out....CRYING.
And all I could manage was,
"That is our Heavenly Father's name and we do not use it that way."
At which point SHE busted out crying too.
I felt bad.
But I was trying (HARD) to get my own emotions in check.
She felt bad.
I couldn't even comfort her.
And for a while I couldn't figure out what had even happened.
Or why.
Really- who cries like that....
In an instant?
About something like that?
Until I realized:
It's because I felt like I had taught my children this already.
And it hadn't quite stuck.
So I felt like I had failed.
Which made me feel like a bad parent.
I love my daughter.
And her desire to do what's right.
I don't think she'll do it again.
This time........
I think it stuck

8 comments:
I think it was Janice that said "The more English your kids learn the less they understand."
I know you do what is right in raising your children. I have taught Addi in primary, and I know she knows. You are doing a great job Momma in teaching them.
Oh honey...You are a wonderful mother...I just wish we could keep what other kids saturate our kids minds with. I appreciate you posting this. Cause I KNOW I will have a moment when my tears overflow with just a few words...
Natalie, you are a wonderful parent. Parenting is hard. We try our best and pray for help from our Father in Heaven. We had a similar hiccup at our house today. I think despite what you teach your kids, they still feel the need to test the waters out on their own. Keep up the good work!
Like Sarah said, parenting is hard. And we, as mothers, are too hard on ourselves. You have wonderful children. Remember that. I heard myself telling Heidi the other day, "Your best is good enough!" It made me realize I needed to tell myself that too! Love you, Nat!
You are NOT a bad parent. Those kids are so lucky to have you as their mom. We all go through that. My little 6 year old said, "Mom I need to tell you something. I wanted to fit in with my friends so today I said someone was stupid and said OMG" (also not the abbreviated version). Language is something that we continually work on in our household. We are actually very strict (no butt, no stupid, no anything even close). The kids think all of those words are bad words. I am still shocked just like you when I hear something, even very occasionally. I just have to sit back and think that this must be how our Heavenly Father feels about us when we continually mess up ourselves. Just keep being strong - you are definitely doing all of the right things!!! Love you, Nat!
Nat--you are a wonderful, loving mother, and I know you are teaching your children right from wrong. You are doing your best, and that's what matters. Our children have agency, and that is hard to accept. As they get older, the more they use that agency, and we cry over the bad choices they make and rejoice when they make the right decisions. It doesn't get any easier--any parent of a teenager will tell you that. I struggle every day with the some of the choices my children make, but I take comfort in the atonement. I love you!!!!
Hello!
Cute blog!
Glad to know I'm not the only Castle fan around.
From one blog stalker to another.. thanks for stopping by. :)
I'm sure you are doing an amazing job - it's the other kids at school that she hears things from and they slip out. I think crying made a bigger impression than say - yelling. I'm sure that is one memory that will stand out in her head for always.
Post a Comment