Monday, December 7, 2009

My silly girl

I just have to share a few things about my little girl lately.

On Saturday we went to her Gymnastics recital. She did really great! It was fun to watch her up there just boppin' away to the music. She would stand in line and, while waiting for her turn, would dance to the music. Then she would take her turn and run to the next station, only to stand in line and wait again. And dance. SOOO funny!

We went grocery shopping on Saturday afternoon. While we were at the store she got under the cart on her tummy to ride around. One of the favorite things to do. The husband HATES it when the kids do this. I tolerate it. Not that big a deal. But this day her hair was down. I kept telling her to keep her head up or her hair was gonna get caught in the wheel. Well, soon enough it did. And pulled out a good chunk. Right from the roots. She has a bald spot about the size of a pea on her head. OUCH! She cried. And I was a good mom and just comforted her. And then we talked about how we don't get to ride under the cart anymore. That made the husband happy.

The girl's new favorite thing to do it to play the "made ya look" trick on the husband and me. She never says "made ya look". She just says, "Look! there's ____________!" and then starts laughing when we look. A little over a week ago she she says to me, "Look! There's Santa!" I looked, because of course it's entirely possible. SHE GOT ME! She laughed- SO hard- at her own cleverness. And She immediately tried another one, "Look! There's God!" Ummmm yeah. She did say it. INSTANTLY she knew she said something she shouldn't have. How? you ask...by the expression on my face. I am sure all of the color drained from my face. My child couldn't POSSIBLY have said that, could she? I looked at her very seriously and said, "Oh girl. We don't speak of our Heavenly Father that way. When we talk about Him we don't speak silly or disrespectfully. We need to make sure we are always reverent and respectful when we speak of Him." I know I hurt her feelings. She hasn't played that game since. I feel bad. But it was a teaching moment. And I couldn't let it go. I had to let her know in that moment. Maybe I should try to "make her look" just so she knows that the game is OK. But the subject matter is what we need to watch.

At school on Thursday she lost her 2nd tooth. She was SO SUPER excited to show me her "tooth box" when she got in the car. See- when you loose a tooth at school the nurse has a box that you can put your tooth in to take home with you, so you don't loose it. LUCKY! I don't think I ever lost a tooth at school. And even if I did, I don't think they had things like that. Maybe you got an envelope to put it in, if you were lucky. She is now the proud owner of a lovely lime green box. And I think we will be using it for the tooth fairy from now on. That's what she wants to do.

Last night a cousin told her that Santa is not real! It broke her heart. She went to her daddy, tears in her eyes, for confirmation of this. Daddy instantly made it better by telling her that , "of course he is real!" She argued it a bit, "But ______ said he's not!" And the husband's response was, "Then don't talk to her any more." *sigh * husband needs to learn not to say those kinds of things. And the cousin was standing right there. She was surprised by this response. So she went to her daddy to tell him that her older sister had told her Santa wasn't real. She pretty much got the same response from her dad. I am grateful that the girl is still so trusting and will take her daddy's word over her cousin's. My heart would be broken if she decided Santa wasn't real at this age! The magic would be gone. And I would cry.

I love my silly girl. She is growing and getting so big. I am not ready for her to grow up. I hope I get a few more years of her being a little girl....before SHE decides she's too big for it.

5 comments:

Charity said...

Um. Can we say OW!!! I cannot believe it took it from the roots! Poor girl! And I think you did exactly right with the teaching moment you were given. You are an amazing mom (I still cant believe they go down at 730!?!)and I need to learn your tricks of the trade. Ever think about writing a book? No? Well when you do....I get an autographed copy.

Heidi said...

Oh, I just love Addie! I really wish she and Emmi could play together. And I'm really sad we couldn't see New Moon together! I still haven't seen it, have you? I hope Addie's head feels better. I'll have to tell Emmi what happened. She loves to ride there and I'm like you, I don't really like it but I tolerate it.

TrishAnderson said...

Wait - Santa isn't real?!? Just kidding. I, too, am afraid of these little moments when they grow too fast. We get them all the time. It surprises me that the children keep learning things at a younger and younger age. Good for you about the hair. I probably would have lost it right there saying something like - I told you not to do that. Did you learn a lesson? - You are so much better than I. Do you have her gymnastics picture yet? We are still waiting...

Ruth P said...

With the Santa thing, we have had the similar conversations with our girls. It is so hard! I have told them if they don't believe in Santa then Santa won't bring them a present. Of course they respond with, "But 'so & so' still gets a present." To which I respond, "I don't know how it works in other people's homes, but in our home, if you don't believe in Santa, you do not receive a gift from Santa." (I hope as they get older this will encourage them to NOT spoil it for their younger brother. :)

Randibee said...

Ummm, was that my daughter? Just wondering...And so sorry if it was.