Thursday, December 24, 2009

and Happy New Year too....

The next couple days couldn't be any busier. And I couldn't love it any more!
Yesterday the children and I made sugar cookies, while the husband did some Christmas shopping. And forgot a couple things...so I will have to do that today. YUCK! ANYWAY- I was planning on frosting them and also making our gingerbread houses. But the husband called and asked if I thought it would be fun to go to a movie. So I got online to see what we could find in the way of a family flick. NOT MUCH! 2 movies. That's it!! SAD. We ended up going to see The Princess and the Frog. I liked it. I thought it was so cute. But the girl LOVED it. She danced in her seat through the whole movie...to EVERY song. And she was pleased as punch (yep I said it) to have that fun impromptu surprise of going to the movies as a family! We used movie gift cards we got LAST Christmas. And just so you know- as the movie ended I started to tear up. Not because it was so touching. But because it was one of those moments you live for....seeing the sheer joy radiating from a child. And the girl was RADIATING! It made my heart happy to see it. So the frosting of the cookies can wait. As well as the gingerbread houses. Until later. Because, for a moment, I got to see my child SUPREMELY happy!

Last night I wrapped up all of the husband's & children's Christmas presents. After the children were asleep. And put them all under the tree. You should have heard he excitement at my house this morning when the children found them. I LOVED it! Even if they did wake me up to make me come see. The question was..."Who brought them?" I chuckled at that. But it was so fun to hear the excitement. And then when I got up (for real) I found they had moved all of their pillows and blankets into the living room so they could lay by the tree. Honestly I was surprised that the boy didn't open any of them. That is one reason I didn't want to put out the presents sooner. The other is because I don't think they need to focus on that for the entire month. And So I think I have started a new tradition (quite by accident)....presents not put under the tree until the 23rd...after the children go to sleep. Then they are there for a minute to be enjoyed, but not so long that they are the focus for the entire month. I like that.
Today is Christmas dinner with my side of the fam. And the annual white elephant gift exchange. We LOVE this one...and have REALLY great gifts this year! Which makes it even more exciting. I honestly have never (in all our 11 years) seen the husband THIS excited about participating in the white elephant! And then we are going to the zoo lights with the husband's family. We have never done this before. I think the children will love it. To tell the truth, I'm a bit excited myself!

Tomorrow is Christmas dinner with the husband's family. And of course playing all day long with both sides of the family. SO fun! I love that we live so close to family. And that my children know their cousins. I didn't really have that pleasure growing up. I know them, sure. But not so well. And I'd love to know them better! I am happy for my children to have this experience.
So, from our family to yours- Happy Holidays!
Hope all your wildest dreams come true!

2 comments:

TrishAnderson said...

Merry Christmas to you. I LOVE the family pictures. You all look so good. I will have to take my three girls to the movie. Maybe we will get the same rave reviews.

Necia said...

Oh my gosh Nat...I LOVE YOUR fam pic..it's gorgeous!!! Such a beautiful family!