Monday, May 18, 2009

Let them eat CAKE

So a couple weeks ago I started a Wilton cake decorating class through my local Michael's store. The first week you pretty much watch the instructor decorate a cake as she explains what we will be learning. The 2nd, 3rd, & 4th weeks you actually decorate your own cakes. You come to class with a torted (filled) pre-iced cake. So for the first time in my life I filled iced and decorated a cake....not still in the pan with store bought frosting. So prepare to see a few pictures of the process and finished product..........

I bought an 8 inch cake pan. It is also 3 inches deep. So you don't have to bake 2 separate cakes to fill. Just one that you cut in half. I LOVE it!!!

The amount of frosting I had to make was INSANE! I had to make 3 batches. A batch is about 3 cups. One batch was for my practice frosting- the frosting we will use each week to practice with, hence the name practice frosting. :o) One batch was to frost the cake with. And the other batch was to decorate it with.

I had to level the cake, cut it in half, build the dam around the edge and put filling in the middle. I chose a lemon cake with a strawberry whipped cream filling. One of my friends said, "OH fun! It will be a strawberry lemonade cake!"

Here it is filled and put back together. I piped the frosting a little too far away from the edge, so I ended up having to squish it down to get it closer to the edge. The end result: not as much filling as I would have liked. BUMMER.

My first frosting job. The smoothest I have ever done. And still not so wonderful. But I can only get better from here, so I'm not too worried about it!I thought it looked great for a first time. (It should- I think I spent like 2 hours on it)

This what I got done in class. We were supposed to write words, but I didn't quite get to it. I had a lot of fun. It is REALLY hard to squeeze out all of those little stars! Your hand gets really tired. I had NO idea!

I couldn't figure out what to write on it, so I asked the girl. After asking me to write all of these long sentences, that I had to tell her wouldn't fit, she settled on "colors". Then after I got that on there, she wanted me to write I love you. I told her how about I write "I ♥". So we ended up with "I ♥ COLORS".

On Thursday I have my next class. Then on Friday I am taking a cupcake class. I am sooo excited. Be ready for more pics of those.

8 comments:

Sarah Rowley said...

Looks terrific, Nat! That sure takes alot of patience!

Unknown said...

What fun!!!

Ruth P said...

It looks awesome! How did it taste!?

Becky said...

WOW, that looks great! Can't wait to see the other cakes.

big_smartmouth said...

god job! i love the fluffy clouds! i have always wanted to take a cake decorating class. i know a few people who have done it, and after seeing what they've learned to make, it makes me want to do it more!! keep it up w/ the pictures. i love'em!

Heidi said...

I bet it tasted as good as it looks! I can't wait for the clowns. :)

TrishAnderson said...

Not bad at all for your first cake. Keep it going and you will be doing cakes for everyone!

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

Very, Very impressive!!!! I must say I now want to take a cake decorating class. It looks so perfect!!!!!