Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Oh the joy of small town life

So I saw something very funny this morning.

I went to the library to get the book club book for this month- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society By Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows. Only 1 copy, which I checked online to see if they even had it last night. And to my amazement- they had it AND it was checked in! So I rushed down there first thing this morning to snatch it up before someone else could. The library is TINY. (Especially when I am used to the monster of a library that I used to go to before moving out here. And even bigger was the library I went to in Virginia last summer.) It is very quaint. And while I love that, it is hard when you are trying to find older books....not a lot of selection. This, however, is a side note and not the story I was going to tell. Though it is another small town joy.

So here's the real story- while I was at the library I thought I would pick up a course book for CAC. They didn't have any, but the lady told me I could go to the CAC office right across the street. I had no idea there was an office here in town. Cool. Then she says, "Yeah, it's right next to the building that just fell down." WHAT!!!!?!?! And sure enough- I looked out the window and what did I see? No- no popcorn popping, but a building that is now a pile of rubble! I am SUPER unobservant. I didn't even see it as I was driving to the library. I had to have it pointed out to me. And I hadn't heard about it either. (it happened over a week ago) Ammon had heard. HOW? Who knows. But my point is- Where else but in a very OLD, very small town would a building fall down of it's own accord? Seriously?! As I drove away from the CAC office I thought how I wish I had my camera and could have taken a picture with of it to post on my blog. And as I sit here typing this I realize- I DID have it and I could have taken a pic! OH WELL.

I had to share one of the joys living in our small town.

9 comments:

Randibee said...

did you get the book? you never said if someone snatched it up before you got there?!

Heidi said...

That is so funny! I did notice that building but didn't know it fell down by itself. Crazy! The library here frustrates me but I guess I should be glad we have a library at all.

trublubyu said...

that is funny!

are you going to take some classes? what are you taking?

did you get the book?

i also went to the library today to get that book. but, when i got to the library and was preparing to take in the items to be returned, i realized i had picked up the wrong movie from my counter- one of my own and not the library's. i think rees would be sad if we gave "jack frost" to the library, instead of the one we checked out.

so, i didn't go into the library. i came home to get the correct video to return. will go back later.

uniquelynat said...

i did get the book! you know- early bird gets the worm and all that. i can't wait to start reading it!

the library frustrates me too. you can only ever find the new books. And then they only have like 1 or 2 copies. AND if you need an inter-library loan they wait until they have a full bag of books before they do it. So it could take a couple weeks for them to get you the book you want.

i am not taking classes as of yet. but i am thinking about it- i was picking up the book for the husband. i think we have jack frost- if you ever loose yours i think you could have ours. my kids aren't as attached to it.

TrishAnderson said...

That story is funny. I think that most times in life we totally miss different things because it is not part of a need at that time. Once something becomes part of a need then the different things we missed before become apparent. I enjoyed your story!

big_smartmouth said...

if it were a TRUE small town, then you'd see the fallen down building on the cover of the towns newspaper the very next day! LOL LOL LOL (hehehe, you know you love me!)

Rosalyn Francis said...

this is such a funny description! You sooo come alive in your posts! I miss you, and how exciting you got the boook =)

Rosalyn Francis said...

this is such a funny description! You sooo come alive in your posts! I miss you, and how exciting you got the boook =)

Rosalyn Francis said...

ps, I love to post twice because I'm sure you want to read it twice! jk...