
I have somewhat to say concerning these things......
This year I have come to a realization that I do not enjoy this tradition as I used to.
Here is what we do-
We watch General Conference. And take MEGA notes on the Sunday sessions. Then after the 2nd session ends we jet on over to the sister's house (an hour away) and have dinner and a little general conference jeopardy. The B-I-L does a fabulous job. He has a power point presentation all rigged up to look just like the actual game show....music and all. Only difference- you don't have to say the answer in the form of a question. It's a great thing. We have an enjoyable time.
However this year I decided that I don't so much love it any more.
Yesterday morning we sat down to watch conference. We were not even to the opening song when I feel myself about to speak harshly to my children. Hmmmm. An indication of how the day will be? Probably if we don't do something FAST. So with the children bickering because they don't want to share with each other- I promptly stand up and walk into my bedroom to watch ALONE. Which is not what I wanted to do since this took the place of our regular worship services for the day. I thought we should at least watch the morning session together. But NOT if I wanted to be able to take good notes so that we could have a shot at winning the GCJeopardy!
So my thought was- I shouldn't be so concerned with the game that I can't enjoy watching conference. Or that I get upset with my children (5 & 2) for making even a PEEP. Or that I can't even feel the spirit enough to get the massage meant for me to hear from the talks being given.
I enjoyed it much more last year when the husband was gone & it was just me with the kids. Because then I realized right away that I wouldn't be able to take notes and handle the kids at the same time. So I didn't even try. And it was good.
So I then have to bring up the point- this time last year my husband had left me as we were to embark on a new adventure of living in a different state for the summer. And I was left alone for a month before we could join him. I am happy to say we are staying put this summer.
Anyway- Conference was good. And I was able to get something out of it...but I feel it was only because I shut myself in my bedroom and made the husband care for the children. Gonna have to think of what to do about this. It's either find a way to get the kids to sit, or not participate. We'll see. I have 6 months to come up with a solution.
Sorry family if any of you read this and it hurt your feelings or made you upset. I just had to express my frustration and such. I love you!
This year I have come to a realization that I do not enjoy this tradition as I used to.
Here is what we do-
We watch General Conference. And take MEGA notes on the Sunday sessions. Then after the 2nd session ends we jet on over to the sister's house (an hour away) and have dinner and a little general conference jeopardy. The B-I-L does a fabulous job. He has a power point presentation all rigged up to look just like the actual game show....music and all. Only difference- you don't have to say the answer in the form of a question. It's a great thing. We have an enjoyable time.
However this year I decided that I don't so much love it any more.
Yesterday morning we sat down to watch conference. We were not even to the opening song when I feel myself about to speak harshly to my children. Hmmmm. An indication of how the day will be? Probably if we don't do something FAST. So with the children bickering because they don't want to share with each other- I promptly stand up and walk into my bedroom to watch ALONE. Which is not what I wanted to do since this took the place of our regular worship services for the day. I thought we should at least watch the morning session together. But NOT if I wanted to be able to take good notes so that we could have a shot at winning the GCJeopardy!
So my thought was- I shouldn't be so concerned with the game that I can't enjoy watching conference. Or that I get upset with my children (5 & 2) for making even a PEEP. Or that I can't even feel the spirit enough to get the massage meant for me to hear from the talks being given.
I enjoyed it much more last year when the husband was gone & it was just me with the kids. Because then I realized right away that I wouldn't be able to take notes and handle the kids at the same time. So I didn't even try. And it was good.
So I then have to bring up the point- this time last year my husband had left me as we were to embark on a new adventure of living in a different state for the summer. And I was left alone for a month before we could join him. I am happy to say we are staying put this summer.
Anyway- Conference was good. And I was able to get something out of it...but I feel it was only because I shut myself in my bedroom and made the husband care for the children. Gonna have to think of what to do about this. It's either find a way to get the kids to sit, or not participate. We'll see. I have 6 months to come up with a solution.
Sorry family if any of you read this and it hurt your feelings or made you upset. I just had to express my frustration and such. I love you!

5 comments:
Nat,
Don't feel bad. Once we realized that we wouldn't be able to make it (because of Scott's pink eye), I was a little relieved that I could just sit and enjoy Conference and not worry about writing down who said the closing prayer or what color of tie Pres. Monson was wearing. We are all such competitive people! :) I love the tradition too!
Ruth
P.S. It was wonderful to focus on the "meat" of Conference instead of the nitty-gritty details.
Ruth--We missed you guys!
Thanks, Nat for being brave enough to express your true feelings.
I too have felt some stress during the last couple of conferences trying to take great notes and keep 2 babies quiet and keep the older ones from fighting over who is not doing their fair share at note-taking and all I do is keep shushing everyone, and barking orders to "take good notes".
I love playing the game and getting together, but Conference itself is very exhausting and not quite so spirtual for me as it should be. Maybe we could do Conference Jeopardy once a year, or maybe just for one session? Or come up with a new idea? Just some thoughts...
But I do appreciate all of the hard work that Chris puts in on the gme, and thank you to the Walker's for always hosting such a wonderful event!!!!
Now that some of the grandkids are older, how about a "children's version" of GCJ instead? With questions that can be answered the Friend or an online conference packet to help the kids?? Or all the cousins get the same snack assortment and "after the opening prayer, eat the pink gummy worm" and then the KIDS get to answer the questions, and everyone wins!
It is great that you are able to express your feelings. It takes courage, strength, and character. You are amazing!!
Post a Comment