Friday, January 16, 2009

Picture if you will......

You innocently go in to the Bishop's office for tithing settlement. Upon exiting you start to chat with the second counselor, who is a friend of yours. You feel you are safe. And then BAM! he hits you with an assignment to talk in church. And not just a talk- you are to speak on Joseph Smith. And not just on Joseph Smith you get the assignment to speak about his martyrdom and what came about because of that. And not just that but you go second. And not just that , but you are to speak 2 days, yes 2 days, after Christmas. Well, if you could picture that, you have just pictured my life a few weeks ago.

The one good thing? He gave you 2 weeks to prepare. Well- you think this is a good thing, until you get NOTHING. I could not think of a thing. I didn't even know where to begin! This was a HUGE deal to me. Oh and did I mention that I had to also sub in Primary that day. And did I mention that it gets really busy right around Christmas? And that you feel safe in having 2 weeks but all of a sudden it's gone? And that one of the dogs had to be put down the day before you are supposed to talk? And that your parents decide to come surprise you the morning of and listen to your talk? Well- now you know. And then the husband takes up all the time. And you have poured over countless talks and lessons out of manuals and you end up with 5 measly minutes in which to present your hours worth of info!?!

Well- anyway- I got through it. And I'm still alive. And, I don't know, but my parents said I did a good job. So I hope so. Then again maybe I didn't, and it will make the bishopric regret asking me to talk, and they won't do it again for a LONG while....

WELL YOU CAN ALWAYS HOPE!!!!!
(just wanted to give you a little glimps into my holidays!)

Just FYI- this was not a post to complain. I promise! I just thought it was a humorous way to relate an event in my life. And the husband just "informed" me that I TOLD him to take up all the time.

8 comments:

Rosalyn Francis said...

This is hilarious, Nat! I can totally hear your voice and I feel like we're just talking on the phone. How much fun, seriously! --well, not the talk stress part, but definately, the hearing you tell about it part! =)

trublubyu said...

so, how about a recap of that talk? you could give the complete talk right here on your blog.

Randibee said...

I'm glad Ammon followed your instructions and took up the whole time. What obedience...

Jenny and Tony said...

Wow I have missed alot!

I thought your talk was very good, and that it was very nice for the husband to take up all the time :)

I was doing pick up Thursday and was thinking "who is Nat picking up from school?"

I am so sad for you for Spencer. He had a good long doggy life though and probably thought he was in heaven when he moved to your house with all the other doggy friends.

Unknown said...

Our holidays were quite tumultuous too, to say the least.

big_smartmouth said...

is it bad to say that i HATE when they ask me to talk?? it's always a nightmare for me! luckily, i have a bishopric that gives us a topic and then adds,"...or, any other topic you feel needs to be spoken about." i'm a chicken and i always pick the 2nd option! another way to make it easier on you? make it a "kid friendly" talk. much easier to prepare if you have the kids in mind while writing it up. good luck for next time (because there will ALWAYS be a next time!)

TrishAnderson said...

I am sure you did quite well. Hopefully you made it through the holidays without stressing too much. Maybe you should just have another Christmas to make up for it!!!! Do you think Ammon would go for it?

mom and dad said...

Nat, you did a super job of talking and we really didn't mean to put mor pressure on you. Now tha you mention it the holidays were a bit full weren't they? But I loved it all! Keep the good work up! You'er super! laaf mom