Friday, December 12, 2008

Deck the Halls......and all that jazz

So I did it. I let my children decorate the tree, with only minimal coaching from me.


I only helped when necessary and I let them do it how they wanted. I have never even been able to let Ammon do it. I like the tree to look "just so". I like everything evenly spaced. I like all of the ornaments to match. (actually they HAVE to match) All of the lights have to flash or none of them can. And they have to all either be white or color. And I like the presents under the tree to all go along with the same theme of matching- matching wrapping paper.

My parents had a tradition of giving each of us an ornament every year for Christmas. We always knew that was one of our presents. Every year it was different. I have so many of them still. I have never opened them....till today. That's right, ornaments over 15 years old that have never been taken out of the package! I finally opened them and put them on the tree this year. I think that would make my mom happy to know. I could never throw them away, but I could not bring myself to use them either, because they don't match.

I was thinking back to our Christmas trees growing up. I always loved them. I was thinking of what I loved so much about them and I realized what it was. I loved that there were ornaments on the tree that had stories behind them. And every year they were the same ornaments, with a couple new ones added in. And most of them were the ornaments that my siblings and I had made. So that made it feel like the tree belonged to us. Another thing I loved about our trees was that my mom & dad never made us feel like we couldn't touch them. I remember my mom sitting and watching as we children (there are 7 of us) decorated the tree. And I didn't care that she didn't help. I was happy just that she was there while we did it. And it was family time. I remember taking the ornaments on and off the tree. There was one that was a favorite of all of us. It was a little teddy bear made out of corduroy fabric. and his arms and legs snapped on. I remember playing with that bear. And never being yelled at because I touched it. Amazing that none of his limbs ever got lost.

My point is that I want my children to feel the same way about their Christmas trees as I did about mine growing up. And if I can't start to let them do it now, and put random ornaments on now, how am I ever going to let them do those things later. How will I ever be able to handle putting the ornaments they bring home from school on the tree. That seems to be something important. I want my children to know that they are important. And that I love the projects they make. And the Christmas tree seems to be one place they always make a project for. You know- the picture frame ornaments.... As a matter of fact Ammon's mom still has one of him from like 1st grade she hangs on their tree. That is one old ornament. But she still has it. Now what kind of mom would I be if I couldn't do as much for my children.

I have practiced unusual restraint this year. And I intend to continue this tradition throughout the coming years. And just to prove it...here is a picture of how beautiful our tree turned out this year. AND I WILL NOT MOVE ANY OF THE ORNAMENTS (to a more "mom approved" location).


5 comments:

big_smartmouth said...

i grew up with a mom who never gave us our own ornaments like "baby's first Christmas", nor did she keep the ones we made of our hand prints or out of macaroni noodles from elementary. even though she was a great mom, i was always jealous of other peoples trees which would display their own family history. but, i must admit, i LOVED my moms themed trees! they were always beautiful and looked professionally done. now, i have inherited her OCD for tree decorating. i am a NAZI about it! so, i have decided, when i have kids, they will feel special by having their own trees in their own rooms to decorate. that way, they can look at their ornaments they made or i gave them and feel that special love. and me? well, i get to break out the ruler for my family's tree in our living room! anyway, i love the tree. good on ya' for letting go of your own tree decorating OCD to let your kids have an amazing Christmas memory. oh, and thanks for the Christmas card! so cute!! i bet i know who made them. =)

mom and dad said...

good for you!

Emy5 said...

Nat, I loved what you wrote in this post. I grew up in a home where we placed the same glass ornaments on the tree each year. None were hand made. They all matched. The result was always the same.

WE were allowed to help decorate, but being glass balls, we had to be extremely careful. But some broke anyway.

I too love everything to match, but I also love variety. Can't do the same each year. So I alternate between an elegant tree one year and a quirky tree the next. The quirky one gets some handmade kids ornaments on it.

I do sometimes feel that I wish our tree was more steeped in family history, but I never grew up getting an ornament each year, so I was not familiar with this until I saw others doing it recently.

You tree looks great just how it is. I salute your willingness to let the kids make it feel like it is theirs.

Jenny and Tony said...

I am so proud of you!! I have always bought my kids each an ornament each year, and those are what graces our tree. There is no theme, nothing matching, and it is ok :) This year I let the youngest do most of the decorating, and the tree is against a wall next to the piano and so most of the ornaments are on less than 1/4 of the tree, and it is ok. You have made a huge step and your kids will love you for it :)

Christy said...

Hi Natalie! I don't know if you remember me. We went to school together and I was in the same ward as Ammon growing up. I found your blog through Amy Null. It's great to see what a beautiful family you have!!