I don't know about where you live, but where I live the coming of the Autumn months is foretold by the harvesting of the cotton fields. And while I LOVE the cotton fields and how pretty and fluffy and white they are. I also LOVE all the colors that signify that autumn has arrived. We don't get so much of that here. It makes me a little sad. This year more than most. Most years I don't even notice it really. But this year I have.I believe the reason for this can be dated back to when we were leaving Virgina to come home. The day before we left I saw a tree that was already (at the end of August) 1/2 red! The leaves had just begun to change colors there. And I was coming home! And I was going to miss the one thing that, to me, would have made the whole summer worth while. So ever since I left, that little red tree has been in the back of my mind. An I have silently wished that I could see that sort of thing without having to drive AT LEAST 4 hours away from home.
Well- today I was driving around town with my mom. And as we are driving from one edge of Gilbert to the other, I start to see, out my window, bits of color! What is this!??! Color!?! And as we drive, the more I see. OH- joy & rapture! Now don't get me wrong- the majority of the trees still have their leaves....all of them. And they are still green, with flowers (some of them). But here and there are glimpses of little trees with the vibrant hues of autumn! I was soo excited. And the more I searched for them, the more of them I saw. It was soooo great. They were sooo pretty. I wish I could have taken pictures. There are two, not too far from my parents house, that stood out. One was that deep burgundy red- the. whole. tree. And the other beautiful golden, like the rays of the sun as it sets. And the sun WAS getting lower in the sky. And it was shining right behind that little golden tree. Which made it even more beautiful. I was in heaven!
And now I am happy. Because I got to see the colors of the season. And what a small, but very important to me, gift the Lord gave me today. I opened my eyes and was able to see the beauty of his creations! Maybe I should open my eyes more often.....
Now I just need to find out what kinds of trees will actually change color down here so that I can plant some of them in my yard. And maybe then I won't have to go ANYWHERE to enjoy the changing seasons! hmmm.....
And also- are you as excited as I am that Thanksgiving is almost here? This whole week is going to be a holiday week. I can already feel it!! I can't wait! And it all started today!

4 comments:
How lovely for you! I just love the changing colors of fall. We're into the brown stage now though. It's not so lovely.
I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!
where did you get such a cool pic? :)
i agree- fall is awesome!
yay!! i'm so glad you got a glimpse of what i get each fall. next year, come on up to oregon and we can bask in the joys of autumn together!! btw i got my hair cut & colored the other day and, as much as i love my gal, she didn't cut it even close to what you did with it! i need my friends magical scissors again!!! =(
"THE tree" at the park is a Chinese Elm. If you didn't notice it Saturday, go back by and check it out! It is pretty!
Post a Comment