How many of you remember The Electric Company? How many of you loved it then? How many of you have re-watched the show on dvd? How many of you (that have done that) realized, as a kid, you really didn't catch a lot of the humor? And how funny it is now to re-watch it as an adult? And actually understand the humor?Well I was on the PBS website today and you'll never guess what I found.....(well maybe you will since I prefaced it that way) I found a line-up of programs they are going to launch in January 2009. All focused on teaching children to read. And among them......A re-make of The Electric Company. You can see a little introductory video of it here, and a description of the show. Looks kind of funky! But then so did the original.
Going along with this theme- Raising Readers- Channel 8 is sponsoring an even next Saturday (Oct 26th). My sister and I took our kids to one of these Channel 8 events in February. They had sooo much fun. It was held at the channel 8 studio in Tempe. On the ASU campus. This one is in Phoenix, but still good...I have a slide show of pictures here, if you want to look and see what they had. This is only a small amount of the activities. If you have the chance to go I highly recommend it.
Here's the info about the event next Saturday.........
Eight’s PBS Kids Raising Readers Family Literacy Celebration Day
Wesley Bolin Memorial Plaza
Saturday, October 25, 2008
9 a.m. – Noon Meet PBS Kids characters: Martha (Martha Speaks), Wonder Red (Super Why!), Dog (Word World), PBS Kids host, Mr. Steve, and a Diamondbacks player and Mercury player.
Hands on activities for kids. Free PBS Kids stuff – books, stickers, coloring pages.
Plus, there will be more than 20 information booths from government departments, community organizations, area agencies and local early childhood program partners with hands-on literacy activities.
Fun for the entire family. And it’s all free.
Wesley Bolin Plaza is located at 1700 West Washington in Phoenix.
Free parking available.
I'm sad! I just looked at my calendar and we won't be able to go. I wish we could. It appears we have more important things to do that day!! SHEESH! But I guess you can't always make it to them all! I think it will be a fun event. And again....if you have the time, and your day is open, I highly recommend going.

5 comments:
woohoo!!!! awesome
and the new design looks awesome on your blog.
oh, and you changed your profile pic. that has always been one of my favorite pics of you.
Wish we could go...seems we will have more important things going on too. Like packing! Or possibly being on an airplane. Emmi loves Word World though. Do your kids watch that?
Yahoo for The Electric Company! I loved that show!!!
Hey Nat! Ha I'm sorry to say that i have never heard of the Electric Company :) i'm sure it was great tho. You are the best blogger that i know seriously, looking at your blog puts mine to shame. Go you! It sounds like you and your cute fam are doing great, and i'm excited to hear about Vegas! That will be so fun! Tell your little kiddies hello for me. I miss them, i just looked at all your pics from the summer.... We moved to logan so if you ever come this way make sure to let us know!
Post a Comment