Tuesday, August 12, 2008

How old is TOO old??

So I'm just gonna throw this out there. I really do want an answer to this question. I am not sure I know it myself....so maybe all I want is other's opinions......

A few days ago we were down at the pool...AGAIN. That is where we live right now. There is very limited things we can do here with no car. So at the moment we swim & walk to the store every day. Anyway- we were swimming and these 3 guys, I'd say around 18-20 yrs old, walk into the pool area & sit down on a couple of the deck chairs. They were fully dressed, so we could tell they were not going to swim. No big deal...it was a nice day and I might have done the same thing if I were them. Why not get out and enjoy the beautiful day!? They were sitting there for quite a while talking, when I suddenly got a whiff of what they were talking about...... POKEMON!!! I gathered, from what I heard and what I saw, that they were playing pokemon on a handheld game device and talking strategy. Every once in a while one of them would get up, go out the gate, run up the stairs to their apartment, and come back. They were there for a couple hours (so now you know i was there for at least that long too- so i have no life...i'm ok with that....i've come to terms with it this summer).

But here's my real point- pokemon is something my nephews were in to when they were like 7. My niece is now 12 and she still likes it. No big deal. They are children. These are guys that are not children any longer and they are almost ADULTS. Am I crazy for thinking that they are a little too old for that? Or is it just me? You know most games have a recommended age on them. But they don't necessarily have an age cap. So I repeat....How old is TOO old?

7 comments:

trublubyu said...

i kinda think it's cool that these older kids are playing pokemon and not feeling like they are too cool for juvenile things. i especially think it's cool they would choose it over a more violent outlet.

so, i am totally ok with it. although, i agree it is not the norm and would seem a little strange at first.

and, can i just say cool one more time? cool.

Life in the circus said...

ive never been a fan of stuff like that anyway, so its hard for me to be objective about it. i think stuff like that has the potential to retard someones social skills. but thats just me...

big_smartmouth said...

it IS true that those boys really aren't harming anyone and that they could be into things that our much worse. but, the same can be said about a 40 still living at home working at hot dog on a stick. for me, 19 year olds playing pokemon fall into that same box (and that's coming from someone who is 27 going on 19, so you know it's gotta' be bad!). i believe in staying young forever, but those boys are taking it a bit far, don't ya' think?? in short, good on them, but still very odd!

Jen said...

You want to come to my house and play Barbies when you get back? JK
I agree it's great that they are doing that and not getting into trouble but I think they might me a bit old.

Randibee said...

I hope no age is too old for anything...esp since I am on the verge of middle age!

Ruth P said...

Considering my 30 year old hubby loves his PS2 as much as our nephews, as do my other brothers-in-law, I think it just shows the young at heart! I just bought these cuisenaire rods (they are colored wooden rods that help teach math and other concepts). They are for kids K-8. Well, Scott and I spent at least two hours tinkering with them and making designs! So I say go Pokemon!

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

um yah....they are our future! I'm a tad scared!