Tuesday, April 1, 2008

52 Weeks of Blessings # 13- ADDIE

CAUTION: This may be a rather lengthy post!!!

This is my sweet daughter. I have been struggling with her lately. So I decided that she NEEDS to be my blessing this week to give me time to reflect on her POSITIVE qualities.

First I want to tell you a little about Addie and then (since I/Addie was "tagged") I would like to tell you"The top 10 things you might not know about Addie".

Ammon and I were married for 4 3/4 years before Addie came into our life. And 5 1/2 years before she came to live with us. And 7 3/4 years before she legally ( & eternally) became a member of our family. What a story this little person's life has to tell already!

We found out about Addie through a friend of ours. It is a long and involved story, but she melted my heart the moment I saw a picture of her...I knew this was MY little girl. And I would do WHATEVER IT TOOK to get her home! And we did. It took a long time and a lot of effort, from a lot of people, to get her here. But there is no doubt in my mind that she is my daughter and a part of our family. And was always meant to be!

She may not have my skin color...or Ammon's... who is even whiter than me. hehe Or our eye color- we're both blue. She may have beautiful black hair with AWESOME natural brown highlights, and I have to put mine in. But, you see, that isn't what matters anyway. That is "earthly" thinking. This is sooo much deeper than that!

Some people wonder if you can love an "adopted" child the same as a "biological" child. Well, I'm not an expert on that, especially since I don't have any biological children. But if you love biological children MORE then I can't BEGIN to imagine what that would feel like, since I know how my heart feels like it will burst some times with the love I feel for my children.

Addie is such a joy. She tries sooo hard to please and to do what's right. She never passes up the opportunity to tell us how much she loves us or that we have the BEST family. She has a great enthusiasm for life. She has so much energy. Most the time I don't quite know what to do with it. I guess she doesn't either and that's why she ends up "accidentally" hurting herself or her brother. Or both. She is a snuggler. To this day she loves to climb up on my lap and be held. And she's almost 5. I guess it shouldn't surprise me- i will still sit on my dad's lap occasionally and I'm a grown person! I guess no matter how old you get sometimes it's just nice to feel like you did when you were little.....safe and secure. Addie loves to learn things. She loves to read books... especially ones that give information. Right now we are reading the Little House series. And she loves them! In a lot of ways Addie is just like me..... She talks ALL of the time. She asks TONS of questions. She LOVES to be around people. Especially her daddy. She always likes to help. She loves watching movies. (especially with mom) She LOVES all animals. She is tender and caring and happy. She cares what others think. She tries to be kind to everyone. She has a great imagination and is always playing with her hands like they are horses...or just her friends.

I am soooo blessed to have this sweet little girl as my daughter. I wouldn't have it any other way!

10 THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW ABOUT ME (Addie) ARE..........
1. I LOVE horses.. Ok you might know this. But I bet you don't know that I can make ANYTHING be a horse. One of my favorite things to pretend is a horse is my fingers. Horses are my FAVORITE animal. When I grow up I want to be a horse back rider. I have worn holes in the knees of ALL of my pants. Mom bought me some new jeans and now I am FORBIDDEN to crawl around the floor in those or suffer the consequences!
2. I want all kinds of animals..... birds, bunnies, a cow, a horse (pink of course), a kitty, a pony- TOTALLY different than a horse. And this is where they will live...the bunnies, cow & kitty will live in my closet. The horse & pony in the back yard. And the birds in a cage by my bed.
3. My favorite thing to do is clean up the house with mom & daddy. Even if they don't need my help. It's great to follow them around so close that they almost trip over me EVERY time they turn around.
4. I am not a girly girl. I like girly things but don't HAVE to have them ALL of the time. Pink is a good color to wear...but I don't care what color it is if it has a horse on it!
5. My favorite movie is Black Beauty. My mom thought she would be smart and buy the cheap one at WalMart that only cost a dollar. That's fine by me because the voices are so quiet, and the background music so loud, that I get to turn the TV up FULL BLAST!
6. My favorite friends are my cousins! I would play with them any day of the week. My favorite thing to do while we are driving to their houses is ask where we are (gilbert, mesa, chandler) as we go to a new road. Mom LOVES answering me every 2 minutes! But sometimes she gives the wrong answer (we're almost there) and I have to set her straight.
7. I love to have my friends come over to play and will sit by the door and wait until they get there. Even if it isn't going to be for hours. I think that's why mom quit telling me so far in advance when they were coming.
8. I am learning how to spell my name really well. I love learning. The alphabet is my favorite thing right now. And I can't wait until I can read a book without any help. Word World and Super Why are my favorite shows right now. Because they are all about the alphabet and learning to put letters together to make words.
9. I want to get rid of all of my dogs so that I can have a kitty. Dad is allergic to animals but I KNOW if I keep asking they will break down and get me one. I think I will give all of my dogs to Quincy & Ellie ( my cousins) so I can have my kitty!
10. I have been asking my mom to take me to swim lessons all winter. She keeps saying "Not until the summer comes." Whatever that means! I think ANY time is a good time to go swimming. And to think- 2 years ago I wouldn't go near the water!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nat- this is great. I can't tell you how many of these numbers (in Addie's words) made me crack up. Probably because they remind me so so much of Sy. Except, just so you know, his thing is dogs/puppies, not horses. But other than that, they are ALOT alike. And he asks about the pool all the time too. So funny.

I know, those Easter pics we took, Sy is so big. I can't believe it. He was my baby for so long, and now he has to be my big boy. The boys are so much fun.

I still need to get you the stuff for the quilt. Sorry I've been such a slacker. I will get it to you though :-)

Ruth P said...

We love Addie too! What a great post!

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

This is such a cute post about Addie!! She truly is a blessing!

Heidi said...

Addie is such a cute girl and so funny! I remember when we met you at the pool for the first time and Addie was terrified of the water. She had that cute strawberry swimsuit.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

What a cutie! Children are great blessings!