As some of you may know, and others may not, our certification expired on December 1st. When I realized this I was heartbroken. For some reason, in my mind, the certification represented some hope that there were still children out there somewhere for us. I cried when I found out it was to late to extend. Extending costs A LOT less than getting recertified. I take full responsibility....I procrastinated. I can't blame anyone else. But it was still saddening to me. It may seem silly to you that I feel/felt that way about being certified. But that's how it was for me. And I didn't realize it until I found out I had let our certification expire.
After a night of losing sleep over this I decided to write an email to our social worker anyway. After a few different emails back and forth the result that has come back is this.......
We cannot extend (which only lasts about 6 month and costs about $300)
We can get recertified (which lasts a year and costs about $2000) OR
We can update (which cost about $450 and lasts a year, we think- Trina is still checking on that)
This is what Trina said about updating.....
"I just spoke to my supervisor and she said that since you had adopted within the last three years, we can do what is called an update. This is cheaper and less involved than getting recertified. It costs $450 and would require one home visit. We would need updated medical forms, a child protective services form, Ephraim's birth certificate, and a DPS background check. Your fingerprints expire in three years, so I do not think you will need to redo those. "
Maybe it is a blessing that we didn't extend. Especially if that only lasts for 6 months and to update lasts for a year. I hope it lasts for a year. The thing is, that in our situation, we never know where our next child is coming from and so we want to have all of our bases covered...just in case. We feel very strongly that if we are prepared then the Lord can more easily bless us.
After a night of losing sleep over this I decided to write an email to our social worker anyway. After a few different emails back and forth the result that has come back is this.......
We cannot extend (which only lasts about 6 month and costs about $300)
We can get recertified (which lasts a year and costs about $2000) OR
We can update (which cost about $450 and lasts a year, we think- Trina is still checking on that)
This is what Trina said about updating.....
"I just spoke to my supervisor and she said that since you had adopted within the last three years, we can do what is called an update. This is cheaper and less involved than getting recertified. It costs $450 and would require one home visit. We would need updated medical forms, a child protective services form, Ephraim's birth certificate, and a DPS background check. Your fingerprints expire in three years, so I do not think you will need to redo those. "
Maybe it is a blessing that we didn't extend. Especially if that only lasts for 6 months and to update lasts for a year. I hope it lasts for a year. The thing is, that in our situation, we never know where our next child is coming from and so we want to have all of our bases covered...just in case. We feel very strongly that if we are prepared then the Lord can more easily bless us.

1 comment:
That is a blessing!!!!!
Post a Comment