The husband and I were able to attend an adoption conference this weekend. We spent Friday evening and ALL day yesterday surrounded by people with a common thread. And it was amazing to me how that one thing in common INSTANTLY makes everyone SO friendly and open with one another! We met some really nice couples. They are going through their own struggles right now. But we know how they feel! And we saw some people that we already know. And I found myself thinking, "Huh. Who knew!?" And we chatted. And it was ever so enjoyable. So enjoyable, in fact, that I can't wait to go again next year!
And I realized something this weekend......
I'm not the only one.
The only one who....
feels this trial is more than I can bear sometimes
has had a failed adoption
gets my hopes up almost every month, that MAYBE I could have that miracle this time
wants a baby so bad it hurts (and by baby, I mean any child)
sometimes wants to be angry & sad & bitter, but knows that doesn't help anything
doesn't know where to go next, or what the next step is for us
feels completely alone at times
hasn't looked into certain ways to build our family because we don't feel it's the path for us right now
has had my heart broken more than once
understands what a miracle it is to even have the 2 children I do have
wishes I had SOME control over the situation
is grateful I am a mom at all
still feels like there are more children out there that need to be part of our family
can't give up hope, but feel drained of that hope some days
has seen the Lord's hand in my life (in this area) more than once
knows I am still a valued daughter of God- even if I can't bear children
knows WITHOUT A DOUBT my children are meant to be with us
is grateful for friends to turn to in times of distress who TOTALLY GET IT because they've been there (or are there) too
Oh, and the list could go on, and on, and on, and on. And really I already know all of those things. I didn't REALLY realize them this weekend. I was just reminded.
And sometimes you just need a good reminder.
And it doesn't hurt to win a cute necklace in the raffle either!
***If you would like to know more about the conference we attended....well you could always ask. But you could also go to their blog. The conference is an annual event. There is a national one (which we have never been to) and also a regional one. The blog has all kind of info about FSA and other great sites about adoption, infertility, and foster care.


2 comments:
Sounds like a wonderful event. Glad it helped. Thinking about you all the time. I need to email you to get a little help on something. Watch for that to come in the next day or so....
It is such a comfort to know we are not alone! I am so glad you were able to go!
Post a Comment