Saturday, February 20, 2010

My Hero

I have to tell you all about this guy I know. He's pretty amazing. I sure love him. Today he is my hero. He definitely saved the day.

You know that the husband is out of town. And the girl spent the night at her cousin's. 
This morning I had to drive 45 minutes to pick her up. I got there late. They said: pick-up at 10AM. I didn't get there until 11:15AM. OOPS. 

The boy and I went and did baskets this morning. Then we came home, had a bowl of cereal, and took a nap. I had planned on only sleeping for about an hour and then getting up and heading over to get the girl. The boy slept longer than I thought he would, and I was counting on him NOT sleeping long and then waking me up in plenty of time to be there to get the girl by 10. NOPE. 

So I got in the car, hurriedly, and started driving. I had not been going long, when I noticed that the battery light in my car was on. OH NO! I hate car troubles. But I especially hate car troubles when the husband isn't here to take care of it. Yes- I'm totally co-dependent. I would never survive on my own! ANYWAY- The light kept flickering. So I called the husband. He said he'd talk to my dad & his dad and get back to me. He thought it was probably the alternator and was going to see if either of them could help me with it today. 

When I got to the brother#5's house he & brother#3 were there. I told them about the light. And the brother#5 immediately said the same thing (about the alternator) and asked me if I wanted to take it out and take it to the auto parts store to have it tested. (the husband never did call back b the way. he got an install. oh well- work is good too.)

Well, after brother#3 left, he did it. And he took it to be tested, while I stayed at the house with the kids. Did I mention that his wife left this morning at 5AM? She was headed the same place as the husband. Only she was going for a VERY different reason than work. So he had taken out the alternator, taken it to the auto parts store, had it tested, bought a new one, come back, and installed the new one all before I really realized that he had done it. Then he came in and told me to go try it out. So I did. The car didn't start. After much looking around and such we finally figured out which fuse it was that had blown. He went and got that and then installed it too. And the car stared right up. (and the engine light even went off!!)

It took about 3 hours of his day. 3 hours I know he had TONS of other things he could have done with. (including sitting and watching the Olympics like he wanted to) But he used his time, money, and knowledge to do some service for me instead! How lucky can a girl be to have such a selfless brother!!!

And did I also mention that when I found out on Thursday afternoon that the sister#5 would be leaving I asked him what I could do to help him out while she was gone? I wanted to help however I could...and I still do. But it seems that things went backwards for me today. I had intended to help the brother#5 while the sister#5 was gone, but he helped me instead. And I appreciate it SO much. And I am reminded of why I love my family so much. And why I am so grateful that I am blessed enough to live so close to most of them. And I also remember why I look up to my little younger brothers (yep- both of them). They are such great men!

Thank you brother for all of your love and service to me today!! 
You're my hero!

Bet you thought I was talking about the husband when you started reading this post, didn't you!?

2 comments:

Ginny said...

that is soooo amazing!!! I think that he is definitley a heron and they are both some of the most selfless people! we sure are lucky to have them in our fam! and im glad you got your car all figured out! :) what a blessing to have great family!!

TrishAnderson said...

So nice that he could help you out.