So I have told you about how we have started decorating the house. And how THRILLED I am by this. I finally took some pictures. And now I will show you. Keep in mind there are still some things to be done. But at least it looks like someone actually lives here now. (3 years later!!!)
This picture is not to show you a group of cute little girls (& the boy)...who happen to be some of my girl scouts.... It is to show you what this room looked like before anything was done to it. This room is long and skinny. A challenge to arrange furniture in. And for a long time I didn't know WHAT I wanted to do with it. Isn't it sad? And naked!?
Finally I decided what furniture I wanted. But since we didn't (& still don't) have money to buy it, I STILL did nothing. Finally the husband asked what I wanted to do. I told him that I wanted to paint the bay window and the opposite wall red. And put a bookshelf on the far red wall. And put pictures on the 2 long walls. So we bought the red paint. Then a month or so went by and he asked for a clearer explanation of what kind of pictures I wanted to hang on the walls. I told him and we went and bought all the stuff for that.
This is my picture wall....
and the opposite wall. Very simple. But it works with the rest of the room so well.
Then we went and looked for a bookshelf to put on the red wall. I had something VERY specific in mind. I was prepared to build it myself if necessary. I wanted it to be EXACTLY right. This was close enough.
Not exactly what I wanted, but I am an instant gratification kid of gal. It was there, and the right price...so I couldn't refuse. Besides...if we built it, who knows how long it would take to finally get it there!
A couple weeks ago I was lucky enough to inherit a piano AND a couch. On the same day! Oh how they have livened up my room. The couch is totally not what I want for keeps. (refer to above pic for what the couch looks like) But it matches the chairs I already had. And the piano is (to me) absolutely beautiful. It makes the room feel so cozy!
It is old, and worn, and loved, and PERFECT! I initially had thoughts to refinish it and paint it black. But the more I look at it the less I want to do that. Not only because it would be SO-O-O-O much work! But because I really do love it just how it is. And if I changed it, I feel it would loose some of its personality.

So here is the room. Still in need of the REAL furniture. And curtains. And crown moulding. And new carpet. And a little paint in a couple places. But it is a million miles from where it was a few months ago. And I LOVE it to pieces! So for now I am content with it, just he way it is. (except for maybe those curtains) ;)
Finally I decided what furniture I wanted. But since we didn't (& still don't) have money to buy it, I STILL did nothing. Finally the husband asked what I wanted to do. I told him that I wanted to paint the bay window and the opposite wall red. And put a bookshelf on the far red wall. And put pictures on the 2 long walls. So we bought the red paint. Then a month or so went by and he asked for a clearer explanation of what kind of pictures I wanted to hang on the walls. I told him and we went and bought all the stuff for that.
Then we went and looked for a bookshelf to put on the red wall. I had something VERY specific in mind. I was prepared to build it myself if necessary. I wanted it to be EXACTLY right. This was close enough.
A couple weeks ago I was lucky enough to inherit a piano AND a couch. On the same day! Oh how they have livened up my room. The couch is totally not what I want for keeps. (refer to above pic for what the couch looks like) But it matches the chairs I already had. And the piano is (to me) absolutely beautiful. It makes the room feel so cozy!

5 comments:
I love it! It's perfect.
looks good!
I think it turned out great! I love the shelves with the picture frames!
Fabulous update! I love the red walls. What kind of curtains are you looking for? I might be able to score you a deal at Pier One.
It looks marvelous! You did such a great job. I love your arrangement of the pictures and the black on red.
Post a Comment