
But did you know that 3 years ago today we brought home the boy from the hospital to become the newest member of our family? That was an emotional roller coaster. As I worried for a couple days that his birth mother might change her mind....another bit of info- did you know that, legally in the state of AZ, birth mothers are not allowed to sign any papers for 48 hours after they give birth? Thus we waited for the boy with joy and nervousness.
We went to the park and invited all of our family & friends to come and play, sing "HAPPY BIRTHDAY", & enjoy a cupcake or two. He thought he had the biggest & best birthday party EVER. And I was happy because it took no planning on my part...except for sending out the emails and making the cupcakes. Thanks to everyone that came!! You made his day...and mine!! I love you all!
That evening we had "long noodles" (spaghetti) for dinner. And then sang again, opened presents & ate cake.
I think it was a fabulous day for that sweet boy of mine.
Now a couple things about my boy....
While I was making the cupcakes the night before he woke up and came in the kitchen for a drink. He asked if he could eat one and I told him no but he could have one tomorrow. But I lifted him up so he could see them and he just got quiet and drew in a breath and said (with a smile in his voice) "OH! Spiders!" He LOVED them.
He pretty much had the same reaction as he watched me decorate his cake the next afternoon.
One thing he has been doing lately that I ABSOLUTELY love is- he will be playing (anywhere) and every so often, stop what he is doing and run over to me and hug my leg and say "I love you mom." and run back to play some more.
His cute voice is still gravelly and I will be sad the day it stops being that way.
He can't say his "r" sound and I spent about 5 minutes the other day trying to get him to say it correctly. I finally had to stop cause I was laughing so hard. I love the way he talks!!!
He is STILL NOT potty trained. Which is especially trying for me since I think every child should be potty trained by the time they are 1. Diapers just are not cute after 1 year old! (This does not mean this will ever happen at my house...it's just something i think.) HOWEVER- we went to the doctor today and he told the boy that it was time for him to use the potty since he is 3...and a big boy. We'll see if that help with the interest the boy shows.
He has SOOOO much energy. I never knew boys were so different from girls! I thought people were either exaggerating or being silly when they said stuff like that! Silly ME!
He doesn't like getting his picture taken. I think he just doesn't have the patience to sit still long enough for it. Too many other important things for a 3 year old to do! He will either run from the camera, not look at it, or give you a silly face. *sigh* Maybe he'll grow out of it some day. But for now- his pictures are FULL of personality!!!
His favorite thing to do....anything the girl is doing. His favorite toy....the one she's playing with. His favorite activity....bugging her. Some days it's more than any of us can handle....including him.
If he gets really worked up (over stimulated) he just has to yell for no reason. Not words at anyone. Just let out a yell. Either that or hit something. Is that a boy thing, or just my son? I really hope that's normal boy behavior.
And really- how do boys learn to like cars and balls and guns and swords? Or even what they are in the first place? We didn't have any of these things at our house. But he knew what they were anyway. And now we even have guns and swords! He got a couple "shooting guns" for his birthday. And has been playing with them NON-STOP. Those and the remote control car he got from great-grandma. He loves that thing!
These are just a few things about my boy at this stage in his life. I am glad that the Lord blessed us with baby #2. He sure was a surprise to me. I feel so blessed to be his mother. I am grateful to the woman who so selflessly put him into my arms. What a trust to have in someone you have never met before. But I know that the Lord has a plan for all of us. And I know that this child was meant to be part of my family....even though he had to take a different route to get here. It's all in your perspective.
One last funny thing- While trick-or-treating on Saturday I was telling my sisters some of the memories I had of this time 3 years ago. One of them was that we had planned on bring the boy home Halloween day and then showing up at the family party that night, with him, & surprising everyone. Things didn't work out quite like that. He had to stay at the hospital longer. And we showed up and told the news instead. But all the while I was worried that his birth mother was going to change her mind. As I was relaying this story my cute little niece was listening. As I finished she said to her mom, "I bet he was thinking- YAY! New parents!" We had a good chuckle over that. But really, what innocence. In a way it's true. Like I said...it's all in your perspective.
PS-look at the photo blog for pics of all the events....soon. Just not today.



5 comments:
Nat,
I love this post! Your boy is so handsome and sweet! (And everything you described is normal boy behavior!) I wish we could have chatted on Saturday. We will have to get together sometime. I feel like we have been M.I.A. the last month. I am so glad he has the best birthday ever! You are such a great mom!
Still, if you hadn't told me, I would have never known he "took a different route" to come to your family. He is just one cute boy. I love that last picture in your post. My boy is 2 1/2 & loves to scream, not just yell, but stand there and scream. He can go on and on and on. I think it is normal. None of my girls did this so I am not sure. But, it is reassuring to know that he is not the only one. Love the post and your thoughts and insight to such a wonderful moment in your life. You are amazing!!!!!!!!!
i love that cute little nephew! happy 3 to him.
WOW! I wish my park pictures looked like that or even remotely close to that :) He's adorable!
WOW! I wish my park pictures looked like that or even remotely close to that :) He's adorable!
Post a Comment