Sunday, November 29, 2009

Rundown on the last few days....or so

So Thanksgiving was OK. Not the best one ever. But for sure not the worst. We played kickball with a family we have known since before I can remember. That is a cherished tradition. We had dinner with the husband's family. Then we went and had dinner with mine. And then we played a little sing star. Then the girls all made a craft. We made cute fall topiary. It was fun. Another cherished tradition.

Yet another cherished tradition was started just last year.......Thanksgiving is my very most favorite holiday. And for some reason the husband thought it would be fun to give me a "Happy Thanksgiving Day" gift. Last year it was a beautiful watch. I LOVED it the moment I laid eyes on it! I hadn't had it 6 weeks when the boy picked it up off my night stand and carried it off. The girl found it a few weeks later outside. I was overjoyed. And, since I didn't learn my lesson not to leave it where he could reach it, about a week later the boy carried it off again. I was sooo sad. We have not seen it since. This year the husband gave me a Nancy Drew computer game. There are 21 of them. I have ALL of them. This was the most recent one. I don't play a lot of games but I have been into these since they started making them and couldn't NOT complete the set. So as a new one comes out we usually get it. It was a fun gift. But I thought it would have also been fun to continue the tradition of this gift being jewelry. WHAT!? Can't a girl dream!

Friday we went bowling with the husband's family. I was not in the happiest mood. My family had sooo much fun. I tried. I think I am having a little PMS and so that never helps anything. I am sorry the fam had to put up with me. I am sure they just thought I was upset with the husband and so didn't really pay any attention to it....I hope.

Saturday afternoon we borrowed my dad's truck and went over to pick up a piano from one friend and a couch from another. I have the BEST friends! I now have a beautiful piano that I am envisioning all kinds of way to fix and make just a little better looking. And a couch that is about 1000x better than the one it replaced! It needs to be cleaned, but the cushion covers are removable and so I threw those in the wash and they make the whole couch look almost perfect.

This morning we had an elf join our family. Milton will be here for the next month to watch the children and report back to Santa if they were naughty or nice. The children are SO excited about him, and can't wait to see where he'll be sitting when they wake up in the morning. After that we moved the couch so that we could put up the Christmas tree. As I tilted one of the chairs forward, to pick it up and move it to another spot, I heard something fall on the floor. I started to move forward with the chair, and then decided I better see what it was that fell. I looked down and there, on the floor, was the watch that the husband gave me last year for Thanksgiving!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. I stated jumping up and down. Of course the whole family had to come see what was so exciting. There was a little hole in the bottom liner of the chair and I guess it finally got tipped just right and came out. About a month ago the husband and I were talking about this watch and came to the conclusion that it must have gotten thrown away. The boy did take it at a time when EVERYTHING went into the trash. So I have my beautiful watch back and you can bet that I will be putting it in a safe place!!

We came home from church and ate. Then got to work decorating the tree. I said it on my facebook, and I'll say it again here.........There is nothing in the world harder than sitting and watching the children put ornaments on the tree and not get up and move them around later! I left everything alone last year and was so proud of myself. I was determined to do the same thing this year. But the girl asked for my help and, after a while, the boy just started laying them on the branches in clumps of about 5 or 6 ornaments. I thought it would be better to have them actually attached to the branch, so I did end up moving some of them. But I don't feel bad about that. I left pretty much everything else alone. I try really hard not to micromanage. I think I was pretty successful today.

After that we went to tithing settlement. I don't have a whole lot to say about that. I mean really.... But one thought did occur to me that I never thought before. While we were there the Bishop asked how everything was going, like he always does, and the husband said it was all good. But did mention about our desire to have more children. And that I am struggling with that. Bishop asked if we had filled out paperwork. And a few other things. And gave a little advise. I don't know why, but it had never occurred to me to talk about that with the Bishop before. I guess it is just something that I figured we had to work out on our own and there was no point taking that specific struggle to him. But what he said helped. And I am grateful to the husband for bringing it up.

While I was looking at stuff on the computer I finished watching Some Like it Hot. A very great old movie. Jack Lemon is hilarious! (and my copy IS a VHS, mom, sorry!) After that I was about to turn off the TV when something caught the husband's attention. We ended up watching a movie about American fighter pilots fighting for France in WWI. It was a very good movie. Sad, but really good. After it was over (about 30 min ago) we had to look it up online to see what it was, because we came in late and didn't know. It was called Fly Boys. I really liked it.

About 4 weeks ago I was at the library for story time, with the boy and my friend's daughter, and happened to find some American Girl books. They are about a girl named Addy. I thought the girl would enjoy them an so I got a boxed set of all six. We have been reading them. The girl has LOVED them, and wants to find more. The only American Girl she knows is Kit because we saw the movie about her this summer. So I told her there are LOTS more of girls. We decided to see if we could read about all of them. And that we would start with the first girl, Kaya. She is an indian girl who loves horses. The girl does too, so she is SUPER excited to read all about Kaya. In an attempt to keep her occupied and not think about those books for a minute we started reading Ramona the Pest. I ordered the complete set of Kaya books for her for Christmas. So we have 3 more Ramona books after this one. Think I can keep it going until Christmas so she won't be soooo wanting the other books? I sure hope so!

One thing I have noticed about the girl- the more she learns to read, and is able to do so, the more interested she is in books, and the more she wants me to read to/with her. I think that is interesting. I love it!

The potty training is going well. The boy has only wet his pants 1 time since Monday. And has stayed dry all night for the past 4 nights! But he keeps messing them. About once a day. Is this normal? How do you get over this? Is it just something that will eventually work out on it's own? The girl never did this. If she did it was few & far between. So I have never really had to deal with this. So I don't really know what to do about it, if anything. I know he is ready for potty training. He won't have anything to do with diapers or pull-ups. And I know he can mess in the toilet, he's done it more that once. *sigh*

So there you have it. I have pictures about some of this stuff. I would love to show them to you. But, sadly, they may never make it onto the blog. I would rather do the post with no pictures and get the stuff documented. Than wait for the pictures and then forget most of it by the time I actually get around to posting about it. So all you get is a bunch of words. And if you made it to the end of this post you deserve a prize! I think this may be one of my longest posts ever! So if you really did read the whole post from beginning to end, you have my full respect and undying devotion....and I know you are a true friend....cause I KNOW only my true friends are crazy enough to sit through my rambling!!! ;)

5 comments:

Charity said...

I LOVE your rambling! I am sooo going to "borrow" the elf idea from you...Does Milton have a brother perhaps? Ill have to see if I can find him at D.I.
I am so glad the husband brought up your plight to the bishop. You never know...Maybe it's what was needed. It never hurts to have an extra prayer or two going your way! I hope you know you're in ours.

Ruth P said...

I am sorry it was not your best Thanksgiving ever! I was sad it was over so quick. We sure loved being with all of the family and seeing you guys.

I like the idea of a "Thanksgiving gift!" I will have to tell Scott! :) It sounds like you got some great finds this Thanksgiving weekend! I can't wait to see your new couch and piano!

Ginny said...

i cant wait to see your piano and your new couch! it was fun hangin out with you fri!!! and colin frogot to bring the tv. sorry. we'll bring it soon! and there was something else.......oh ya, congrats on finding your watch! woo hoo!

TrishAnderson said...

I didn't think it was rambling. I love it all. Congrats on finding the watch, the new piano and couch. I love free furniture. Our bedroom set and huge entertainment set were given to us. And they are exactly what I would have picked out if I had done it on my own. I don't know what to tell you with the potty training. We never had that problem with any of our girls and we haven't started the boy yet...he is 2 1/2 so we will see soon enough.

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving & Merry Christmas!!!

trublubyu said...

yay for the watch!!

can't wait to see your new stuff- on sunday!

i read the whole post. true friend. right here.