Monday, January 12, 2009

It's official....for now

The girl is going to public school. Well, a charter school. But we are no longer doing homeschool....for now. This may change again. You never know with a wishy-washy family like ours.

After 6 months of being a single parent, and one semester of hit and miss schooling we decided that for now it is for the best. I was not being consistent enough. And I think we both needed a break from each other.

This does not mean that I don't love to homeschool. Or that I don't want to do it. But for our family, at the moment- this was a good decision. I still believe all of the things I did when we set out to homeschool. I still want to do it in the future.

Needless to say, however, the girl is OVERJOYED to be at school with all the other children. She thinks it is the best thing to ever happen to her. She can't wait to get her backpack on and head out the door every morning. She wishes I would let her take her lunch. I should. But we never seem to have our acts together enough yet to get that darned thing made before we run out of time and have to run out the door.

Also- the house is quieter now. The boy plays so well by himself. While I miss my little girl, it is nice to have a quiet house for a while each day. And the boy can't wait to go get sister every afternoon when he wakes up from his nap.

So we are settling in to a new routine. And life is going along pretty well right now. In the beginning of November the boy can start preschool. It gives a mother reason to pause and wonder why she thinks she needs more children, when in just a few short months she could have a couple hours twice a week all to her self. hmmmmm......

Now if you know me you know I don't really mean that last statement. But I did linger on the possibilities for more than a moment...and then I remembered who I was talking about (me) and realized it would never work. I can't make myself not want more children...no matter how hard I try.

We have finished 1 whole week of school and are into the second. I talked to the teacher today and found out that they really need volunteers. So I guess as soon as I can figure out what to do with the boy I will be doing that to. It will be good.

It seems this is a pretty good arrangement...for now.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Sounds like fun! Your brave for home schooling! Kenna is to hard headed that I know I couldn;t do it! You will have to let me know how it goes! I Know kenna is in preschool and it is quiter for a few hours a week! Crazy!

Randibee said...

Yay for school! I LOVE school! It is my favorite! And you can bring the boy to me anytime...

Melissa (Murdoch) McKinley said...

how fun, i bet she is doing great, she's such a little social butterfly! i miss you and your cute kids!

big_smartmouth said...

you lasted longer then i would! i'm not surprised that the social butterfly is loving it. i'm sure everyone by now knows that she loves Jesus, what her favorite color is, that she was adopted!