Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Sucked in

We very recently hooked up our HD Converter box. We do not have cable or satellite nor do we have an HD TV. We are in the ice age when it comes to TV. But seeing as we are not big TV people it works for us. I much prefer movies. When our TV was on in the past it was always on PBS- for the kids. The great thing about PBS?......NO COMMERCIALS!!! My little girl didn't even know what commercials were....until now.

She is now an infomercial aficionado. I am sad about this. She no longer wants to watch PBS. She has found the QUBO channel. A little TV history from our house......We have been married for 10 years. Not once in that time have we had anything but local channels. We're fine with it. We have never gotten very good reception on our TV. That's fine too. We did get PBS and a few others however. Since PBS has great day time programming for the kids we were good with that too. We moved to our current location............even WORSE reception than the previous locations. But still we got PBS. Good. And then we hook up the HD converter box. Best. Reception.Ever. (at least to us) AND more channels than ever too. So we now get QUBO at our house 24/7. Which is fine. Not educational programing parents can trust, but still not too harmful. Until you notice that ALL of the commercials on that channel are infomercials!!!

Addie now has most of them memorized. Her favorite?
THE IRON GYM
After watching this infomercial the other day she says to Ammon,"Hey dad! You need to get RIPED!" Like she knew what she was talking about. It's something they say in that one. Then I was out in the kitchen while this infomercial was on, on Wednesday, and BOTH of my children (yes the 2 year old did it too) put their hands behind their head and start doing crunches in the air! I couldn't believe it!!! And she is constantly running to me saying things like, "Mom, do we have $29.95?" or "They doubled it! Mom it's doubled!"

Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVE a good infomercial. I am known, in my little family, to sit and watch them sometimes. And I too feel the need to purchase those things....for like a second. But all I can say about my little daughter is she is officially SUCKED IN!!!!

5 comments:

Necia said...

Jeff has the "Iron Gym" ...never uses it now...If Addie really needs it she can borrow it anytime:)!

Tiffany said...

LOL so funny! I love that commerical! If ya notice next time it is on the guy has way ripped legs and I always am just in awe how his legs got so cut when it has nothing to do with legs!! LOl What is that channel anyways? I must be lost! I hate the tv! It really does suck you in!!

Rosalyn Francis said...

I have to chuckle when my kids point out foods at the store and recite the commercial phrases as they try to sell me on it. Not the, "please, please" begging, more like, "did you know there are 10 vitamins and minerals in every box?" It cracks me up, and I don't have to buy it after all =)

Crafty Cowgirl said...

Yeah I have learned that those things they advertise are sold at walmart much cheaper---thats where we got that iron gym lol!

Oh and yeah HD is so nice!

big_smartmouth said...

ha! you ARE sucked in...well, more like your daughter is sucked in.i don't blame her, i LOVE tv! btw, my nieces really want that "snuggly", or whatever the heck it's called. it's a blanket with arms so you can be warm while having your hands free...or, as i like to call it

A BACKWARDS ROBE!