Monday, November 3, 2008

Really?!!...Already? I'm sorry Thanksgiving!

So the other night I was going through the bedtime ritual with my little ones. You know, the "I love yous" and the good-night, sleep tights" and the "mom can you close my door a LITTLE bit?" and the "mom can Mali come in?" AND the getting out of bed 50 times for a drink and potty and another kiss good-night. Yeah- that one. Oh, and always the "nusgit". This night is no different. Addie asks as usual, but as I reach for the cd player she says "I want the radio tonight please."

So I hit the sleep button on her alarm clock/radio. I hear static. I start to tune the radio. It's on AM frequency. I change it to FM and continue to tune. And then I hear it....CHRISTMAS MUSIC! Ummm it is only Nov 1st! What the heck! I am amazed and appalled! Gee- I can't believe they had the patience to wait until after Halloween. The stores don't.

But seriously. Why so soon? I mean really, is it that important to be the first radio station to play Christmas Music? And this was a station that I don't recall playing Christmas music in the past. At least not continuously. I am sad to say the least. In past years they have had the decency to at least wait until the day after Thanksgiving to start the continuous Christmas music. I guess times are changing!

I really feel bad that Thanksgiving gets so overlooked. I think it hurts it's feelings. I know it hurts mine and I'm not even the holiday that is the middle child. OH- I am the middle child. Maybe that's why I can identify so much with Thanksgiving. Poor Thanksgiving. I still love you!

9 comments:

big_smartmouth said...

pahahaha! great post! i love how you compare thanksgiving to being a middle child!

and i know exactly what you mean! i was even going to write a post about it, too, after i was at the store last week (days before halloween) and saw that right next to the halloween aisle was the CHRISTMAS AISLE!! yes, BEFORE halloween!

so, i guess if thanksgiving is the middle child, would that make halloween the new ugly step sister?

Heidi said...

That is too funny! I was in Walmart yesterday and they were playing Christmas music! They even had all their Christmas stuff out. Craziness. I admit though, I bought 2 of those huge popcorn tins cuz we love 'em and I couldn't find them last year. I love Christmas but I love Thanksgiving too. You know, in Guatemala we went to the mall and they had tons of Christmas decorations hung up!

Randibee said...

Nat, just to let you know--Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. Read into that all you want, middle sis.

trublubyu said...

so, what is a nusgit? i am baffled by that.

funny post! great perspective on the sadness thanksgiving must feel. just so you know, i LOVE thanksgiving!

Jenny and Tony said...

I am ignoring Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. You are right,Thanksgiving is the middle child, the redheaded middle step child.

Ty and Whit said...

Ha I'm like that too. I can't listen to Christmas until after Thanksgiving! I love all the food at Thanksgiving! YOu're so cute and funny! HOpe you're doing good

uniquelynat said...

FYI- nusgit (pronounced news-get) is how addie says music. she pronounces a lot of words in an interesting way. this is just one of the funnier ones.

Melissa (Murdoch) McKinley said...

oh my gosh luke says nusgit too!! JUST like that...so i knew exactly what you were talking about! i wonder if they got it from each other? miss you guys!

Cellista said...

I know what you mean! I love Thanksgiving too. And it was really weird yesterday to listen to Silent Night at the senior center where I had to vote.