Saturday, November 8, 2008

Have you heard of it?

I know you have probably heard of
But did you know there is also

AND


Last night I had the opportunity to go on a date with my sweet husband. What a fun thing to do. I know lots of people who do this EVERY SINGLE WEEK! We, unfortunately, do not make it out that often. Unless the whole family is going too. Not quite as fun. But last night it was just the two of us.

Because of my wonderful sister, we were able to attend this amazing event......Time Out for Couples. I had never heard of it. I don't know if this is the first time they have ever done one for couples or what. But I am grateful that we went. We almost didn't. Our tickets were supposed to come in the mail. Great sister said to come and they would probably have them at the desk for us. We weren't sure, but I convinced Ammon that we should at least go and see. The worst that could happen is that they didn't have tickets for us and then we would end up at a movie or dinner or something. She was right- they were there. Oh we of little faith!

We were blessed to listen to wonderful men & women speak about marriage (of course) and relationships. I came away better than I went in. Now how many movies, sporting events, concerts, etc... can you say that about!?! What a wonderful way to spend my Friday night......sitting next to my best friend, listening to uplifting messages from people who have a much better understanding than I do.

Bet you want to know who was there..........

Kathleen Hinckley Barnes Walker & M. Richard Walker
Currently serving as the Salt Lake Temple President & Matron; Richard served as the Indianapolis Mission President 1998-2001; Kathleen is a published author and past president of Meetings America
They were actually released as the Temple President & Matron 1 week ago. They were funny and refreshing. And amazing. They have only been married for 5 years. This is a second marriage for both of them after their previous spouses passed away. What fun to listen to Kathleen speak about her parents (President & Sister Hinckley)

Professor of Church History & Doctrine, Brigham Young University; author of the best-selling book, Between Husband and Wife
He was hilarious! What a great insight this man has into relationships. And not just on a professional level. He understands the gospel and brings that into his teaching. It was great to hear him speak. Ammon and I bought Between Husband and Wife shortly after we got married. We started reading it together, but don't think we ever finished it. Listening to the author speak in person makes me want to get it out and start over.

Award-winning singer/songwriter; one of the most successful independent recording artists
You can stone me if you want to, but I had never heard of Peter Breinholt before last night. OK- I had probably heard his name, but never listened to his music. Now I am hooked. I love love LOVE it!!!! I am going to have to invest in some cd's I think.

Mark Mabry
Mark is the man who photographed the Reflections of Christ collection that was displayed at the Mesa AZ Temple visitor center.
He was not expecting to have to speak until rather recently. One of the scheduled speakers was unable to make it and they asked him to step in. He was sooo funny. It was really great to hear some of his personal experiences of the Lord preparing him to be able to do this shoot. And some of the experiences while doing the shoot. What an amazing experience for him! And then the rest of us get to reap the benefits as well.

I can't wait to go to another one of these. I was well worth the time spent. It was in Phoenix, So we left early and got home late. But I would do it again tomorrow if I could. Besides- we had an awesome babysitter, so I wasn't worried about my children at all.....ok, maybe just a little.

And, you know, I have never been to a Time Out for Women either. I'm thinking maybe it's time I checked out one of those as well......

6 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm so glad you guys were able to go! I think that would be an awesome thing to do with my husband. I have been to Time Out For Women and that is really inspirational!

Sarah Rowley said...

I really wanted to go to that, but never did anything about it! Glad you had a great time, especially since I tried Haley to babysit but she said she was already watching your kids. I am glad it was worth it!

Melissa (Murdoch) McKinley said...

that sounds so great! i'm glad you guys got to go! i'll have to look into that and see if there are any around here.

Rosalyn Francis said...

That sounds like it was amazing.

I wish I had gone now! I'm so glad you were able to get there...

Cellista said...

That sounds wonderful! How nice that you could go together. We heard the Walkers speak at our stake conference a year or two ago. They were enjoyable then as well.

You know, I know a few couples who go on a date every single week and I just wonder how in the world they do it. We have a terrible time finding babysitters, especially ones we really trust, and it's just hard. Maybe I need to get more creative.

Jenny and Tony said...

What a great date night!!!! I have never heard of that either, so I will watch for next year!!!