Wednesday, March 19, 2008

a little scary....

I never cease to be amazed that these little ones can go through something horrible and then get up and move on!

Monday afternoon I was at my friend Betsey's house. The two of us were in the living room talking when we hear one of the kids start crying. I didn't respond quickly. I actually thought it was one of her girls crying. But we both meandered into the other room. Addie is trying to tell us that Ephriam has something in his eye. I look out on the porch to see my boy sitting there screaming. He was rubbing his eye with his fist, which made him cry even more. So I dash out there to see what is on his hand. MUD & GRASS! Which he has successfully rubbed right into his little eyeball! I am holding him trying to move his hand so I can see what's going on when I see BLOOD seeping from the corner of his eye!! That sacred me to death! I'm no doctor, but something tells me that bleeding from inside the eye....... not such a good thing. So I get a paper towel and wet it and try to clean the outside up a little so that I can maybe see what is going on inside his eye. All the while poor boy is screaming! :( I know he was in pain...but it would continue if I didn't get the junk out of his eye. But try using that logic on a 1 yr old! It doesn't work so well.

After trying that, we got a cup full of water to flush his eye out. we knew there was still quite a bit in there. So I held him, Bets held his eye open, and Ammon (Betsey's husband, not mine) poured the water in. We did this a couple times, and SURE ENOUGH....each time more stuff came out. And these were big pieces too!

His eye was sooooo swollen after. I also knew that there was still more in there that had to come out. But we couldn't get it to, so we stopped.

I took these pics the next morning.....the blood was coming from that little cut in the corner. So, not as big a deal as I had originally thought. But he had little crusties all over his eye. I got a warm, damp cloth to clean it off...stuck to his lashes, with the stuff, was MORE grass! Poor little guy!!!! I can only imagine how that felt to him! But he's all on the mend, and into plenty of mischief once again! (enough to drive his poor mother batty!)

OH- and sorry for the "straight up the nose" shot! Not the prettiest, but the best angle I could get from a wiggle baby while trying to focus that close to his face! :)
Also as a side note...I DO NOT feel guilty that I did not run to my child's side the instant that I heard him start crying! Like I said before...I thought it was not mine. I have never heard that cry before, so how could I have known. Since I took care of it after as any loving mother would, I feel good about myself. For a few minutes I did feel like a bad mom until I came to the above mentioned conclusion. (Just thought you'd like to know)

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Poor little guy! Glad he is feeling better. At least you probably didn't cry....(read my blog).

Emy5 said...

Oh, I am so glad Ephraim is OK. That sounded like an ordeal for both of you. It's a relief that there was a cut causing the blood and not something worse, but still, OUCH.

Take care!

andrea said...

How scary! I am glad he is ok!