Monday, October 1, 2007

Grandma's....SHEESH!

So, I spent the day "babysitting" my grandma.

Here's the scoop....... (short version)
A little over a week ago my mom and grandma got into a car accident. Someone decided to turn in front of them. They hit him and mom's car was totaled. Thankfully neither of them were hurt too badly. Mom is doing great, aside from being sore. And a "rug burn" from her seat belt. But grandma got a little more banged up than that. She was airevac-ed to a hospital in Scottsdale. She was there for a few days. She has significant bruising all over her body. A bruised lung. And a broken hand.

When they finally released her from the hospital, my parents were told that they needed to get her into a nursing home....so she could receive "proper" care. Now this has bothered me. I know that my parents both work, and that the hospital people just want to make sure that Grandma gets the care she needs so that she can recover. I mean she is 88 years old after all. But it's not like she's going to be neglected at home! I just don't think that they have the right to tell you what to do with your own family members. They didn't suggest that my parents THINK about putting her in a nursing home. They told them TO put her in one! I guess I need to get over it.

So my parents have had my little sister come over and stay with grandma. She couldn't today, so they asked me to. This was not a problem since I have no life. :) So I spent the day today with grandma, and a cranky baby, and a preschooler that said, "I want to go home!" every 2 minutes. (And why did she want to go home? Because there wasn't anyone there to play with like there usually is. Not like it would have been any funner at home!)

It was fine. And not hard at all. But the thing about my grandma is that she doesn't ASK you to do anything. She either 1- tells you to do it, or 2- suggests that you might want to do it...which of course means... DO IT NOW! However if you can NOT let that bother you it is not a bad job at all. As a matter of fact I would rather stay with her when she's like this, than take her shopping. How rude is that!

But we were really only gone for 23 1/2 hours. I left last night at 5:45pm and got home today at 5:15pm. SO even though it seemed like forever...it wasn't. But on Wednesday I get to go watch my sister's kids until Friday night. In Avondale. I hope that goes well.......

No comments: